Brandy Armstrong, VP Professional Activities
It’s been a busy year and I am ready to meet some more IEEE Oceanic Engineering Society (OES) members at OCEANS 2022 Hampton Roads. This year we have been focusing on strategic planning and member benefits. We have lots of great opportunities coming up for our members and volunteers.
OCEANS Members Reception
In appreciation of our members, we will be holding a member’s reception at OCEANS 2022 Hampton Roads. This is a great opportunity for our members to meet with Society leaders and learn how to get more out of membership and volunteering.
Senior Membership Drive
Our Membership Development Chair, Rajat Mishra, is planning a Senior Membership Drive at OCEANS. Senior member is the highest grade for which IEEE members can apply. Those eligible for Senior Membership should bring their resume and work with our senior member volunteers to apply at the OCEANS Society booth. We’ll help with the process; all you need to bring is your experience.
YP BOOST and WIE PROPEL
The application process will begin again this fall to select two new YP BOOST and WIE PROPEL laureates. Please keep an eye out for the call and encourage young professionals and supporters of women to apply. We will publicize the opportunity and the call at the YP and WIE Breakfast panels at OCEANS 2022 Hampton Roads.
Wondering what our laureates are up to?
Our current YP BOOST laureates are involved in:
- Strategic planning
- Organizing WIE and YP breakfast panels at OCEANS
- Planet Positive 2030 (and initiative of the IEEE Standards Association)
- Ocean Decade ECOPS initiative
- Organizing Berths of Opportunity with Schmidt Ocean Institute
- Beacon and Earthzine contributions
- Promoting OES on social media
Our current WIE laureates are:
- Giulia De Masi is organizing a WIE panel at ROSE2022 (https://rose2022.ieee-ims.org/): “Women in Robotics and Engineering: challenges and possible paths during the early career and beyond.”
- Lu Ma held a symposium on “How to Promote Women to Play a Greater Role in the Field of Engineering Science and Technology.”
See More of OES, Online
Did you know that many of our special panels and programs have an online presence? You can find YP and WIE Panels, distinguished lectures, awards, testimonials and more at our IEEE OES YouTube Channel.
Do you know who are next YP BOOST or WIE PROPEL Laureate might be? Be sure to share the call for applicants this fall!