Contact the editors with your submissions
The engineering department at the Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute (MBARI) develops underwater sensors, vehicles, and scientific instruments which expand our knowledge of the ocean and its inhabitants. With our cutting-edge technology and state-of-the-art facilities, engineers at MBARI collaborate with scientists in the conception, design, manufacture, deployment, and support of novel systems. Our work enables research in chemical, physical, and biological oceanography. Among many advanced technologies for ocean science developed at MBARI, the engineering team has designed and built autonomous underwater vehicles (AUVs), remotely operated vehicles (ROVs), a wave-energy extraction system, a benthic seafloor explorer, and underwater laser and imaging systems. If you have the interest and experience to contribute to our work, then we very much welcome your application.
As an electrical engineer, your responsibilities will include:
- Develop complex electrical systems, starting at the concept level and carrying through to the deployment of the instrument or platform
- Design custom circuit boards and manage their development through layout, test, and final system integration
- Document engineering designs, as well as integration and test plans
- Participate in design reviews, both as a reviewee and reviewer
- Work collaboratively as part of a multi-disciplinary team
- BSEE with a minimum of 7 years of related experience, or equivalent work experience
- A core competency in analog and digital design
- Experience with CAD design tools
- Ability to work independently
- Excellent interpersonal, critical-thinking, and communication skills
- Track record of bringing designs to completion on time and as scoped
Not required but beneficial:
- Experience with high- or very-low-power electronics
- Experience designing and debugging microprocessor circuits
- Microwave and RF knowledge as well as experience with EMI suppression
- Experience with any of these programming languages and tools: LabView, C, C++, or Python is a plus
- Ability and willingness to go to sea for specified periods of time
Why work at MBARI?
Founded in 1987 by the late David Packard, MBARI is a non-profit, private oceanographic research institute. Located in Moss Landing, California, near the heart of the Monterey Bay, this unique location provides direct access to the deep waters of the Monterey Canyon. Our marine operations division supports two ocean-going vessels, a smaller day boat, and a wide variety of Remotely Operated Vehicles (ROVs) and Autonomous Underwater Vehicles (AUVs). MBARI is near Monterey and Santa Cruz, as well as the Big Sur coast.
We are currently accepting applications for this position, which will remain open until filled. MBARI offers a competitive compensation and benefits package consistent with peer positions at other non-profit and academic institutions.
MBARI, Human Resources
Job Code: EE
7700 Sandholdt Road
Moss Landing, CA 95039
Submit your cover letter and resume by e-mail to: EngineeringCareers@mbari.org, or by mail to the above address, or by fax to (831) 775-1620.
MBARI is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. MBARI considers all applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or covered veteran status in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
MBARI Welcomes Diversity