Submit Chapter news to Beacon Co-Editors and OES Chapter Coordinator
The 8th Underwater Technology Forum・ZERO -Hybrid
Reported by Harumi Sugimatsu
The 8th Underwater Technology Forum・ZERO was held from 13:00-17:00 on 14 October 2022, at the Atmosphere and Ocean Research Institute, The University of Tokyo, in Kashiwa Campus (https://www.aori.u-tokyo.ac.jp/english/index.html). This time, we have about 50 in person attendees and more than 230 online attendees. Most of the speakers were on-site.
The topics of the forum follow:
- OCEAN DNA Project （https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-020-77304-7）
- Special Session – Measuring the underwater world form the sky
- Future vision of the Flying Car
- From the sky to the ocean – Potential use of unmanned aircrafts
- From the sky to the ocean – Ocean observations by flying boat drone
- Measuring the bathymetric feature from the sky – Hydrographical surveying by airborne laser
- Predatory activity of elephant seals in the deep sea –Using whiskers as foraging sensors
- Acoustic measurements of organisms in deep-sea sediments
- Harvesting of seafloor observation data by optical wireless system
This time, we organized the special session “Measuring the underwater world form the sky” and had four lectures. Realizing the collaboration between the sky and ocean technologies in near future is expected.